Category Archives: coffeebythebeans
- Paddy’s Lantern - Adelaide, SA: This place launched not long after I signed up to Twitter – and there was some hullaballo when it opened – and on my first try, I was not disappointed. Hard to find with crap parking – but a great comfortable interior, serving 5 Senses coffee from a sexy Synesso machine – and awesome light lunches.
- The Pantry on Egmont - Hawthorn, SA: In this little out of the way cafe in the leafy greenness that is Hawthorn, lurks Stef and the team – with a great love of coffee, serving the excellent locally roasted Dr Groot – this place is just wonderful. Russell does a great breakfast too!
- The Two Bees Café - Victor Harbor, SA: Whenever I get the opportunity or have the need to travel the 22kms down the coast to Victor, this is the place where I MUST stop and grab a latte. Serving fantastic Zentveld’s from Byron Bay, The Two Bees has super friendly staff, great food and in good weather a great view down towards the Island.
- Coffee By The Beans - Lockleys, SA: Another one of these great places in strange locations – this is a must stop if you are going too or coming from the airport. Roasting their own beans off site, Vincent, Daniel and Richard are serious about coffee and are serious about you liking their product. The only draw back in the location and the fact that they don’t do online shopping….
- A’Vila Coffee - Adelaide, SA: The nearly not yet review place serves the legendary Campos Coffee – so this MUST make the top 5. Located near the old Academy Cinema City in Hindmarsh Square, these guys love their coffee – and so did I.
This from today’s Herald Sun via the Adelaide Advertiser….
A STORM is brewing in the nation’s coffee chains after McDonald’s top-scored in a battle of the baristas.
The fast food giant better known for fries and burgers beat specialty rivals to snatch best coffee house honours in a consumer survey. McCafe trumped Gloria Jean’s, Hudsons, Muffin Break and The Coffee Club, according to the Canstar Blue poll. The tick comes just three months after McDonald’s apologised for the sorry state of its coffee and promised to improve. McCafe got top marks for overall satisfaction and price, tied with Michel’s on service, and came equal first with Perth-based Dome for taste. The survey revealed 10 per cent of Australians find coffee withdrawal symptoms worse than going without cigarettes, and have tried unsuccessfully to give up their caffeine habit. To read more, including some interesting comments click HERE
A couple of things on this article:
- I would hardly call any of those ‘speciality rivals’ a specialty coffee places – they are mass producing coffee franchises - who, as I am sure you have all experienced do not produce consistently great coffee – but perhaps we could call them passable. It is generic coffee. Specialty coffee places are your smaller concerns who purchase their beans from origin – perhaps even attend the cup of excellence – roast locally and with consciousness and dedicated baristas serve you a coffee that they long for you to enjoy – see Coffee By The Beans or The Coffee Barun or the Coffee Branch.
- Really?? You expect us to believe that this was a genuine survey and not an attempt by the McDonalds Corporation to move past their national apology?
If there are no further posts on this blog, then perhaps I was right with point 2? Have a great coffee and a great day!!
Shop 3, 394 Henley Beach Road, Lockleys, SA 5032
I never thought I’d say (or write) this, and I will probably never say it again, but “I want to move to Lockleys!”
I’m going out on a limb here folks – and I am asking you to join me here – because I am declaring that my ristretto, latte and chat with Daniel and Richard at coffee by the beans yesterday provided me the best coffee experience I have had – anywhere – period. And while coffee by the beans is in a strange place – just off Henley Beach Road, facing Rowells Road so you can’t actually see it if you are coming down Henley Beach Road from the city – it is so worthy of the search and discovery.
Situated in a fairly tired looking group of shops, coffee by the beans is a funky yet classy, aesthetically pleasing yet conformable espresso bar (not café – as for these guys, it is coffee first – so there is no food menu to speak of, other than a few HUGE muffins and cookies in jars on the counter) whose singular desire is that YOU the customer will have a great coffee experience and come back – even my nearly three year old son who was with me, enjoyed the experience – and kept reminding me half the way home that ‘the man from the shop brought Daddies coffee and put it in the car’ – those who have toddlers know that getting everyone and everything back to the car in one trip can be an adventure in itself.
They also service Saeco and Delonghi coffee machines – but not my Sunbeam Café Series – I asked.
Latte Quality – Lattastic!! – I know I said I would never make this declaration without a few visits – but in fairness to me (a) this is my blog, so it is my opinion we are going with; (b) I live in Goolwa, they are in Lockleys – how often am I going to get the chance; (c) I did have a Ristretto and a latte and (d) this is my blog. Daniel prepared for me a single origin costa rican – which was truly a wonderful coffee
Cost – $3.50 for a regular drink in, which is average – $3.00 for a Ristretto. $4.00 for a take away latte.
Coffee Supplier – coffee by the beans – sourced and roasted off site – you can also purchase their beans for your own home usage.
Fair Trade – No indication in store – No indication on their website.
Customer Service - - freaking awesome – I’m going to nominate them all for Australian of the Year – I would keep coming back, even if they switched to International Rust and an ern (not really, but you get the drift) – if it weren’t for their calling into the coffee industry, they should be teacher customer service…
As an aside to this, often when I am out and about drinking coffee and let slip that I also review coffee (after I have paid and received my beverage – always – no cash for comments scandal here, let me tell you) I get asked where else I have been and I say a few places and generally the person asking will say something negative towards the other place and their coffee or service or both – not here – I mentioned in particular my other out of the way coffee place – The Coffee Barun – and the guys had nothing but good things to say about them and their coffee – that is class. That alone encourages me to encourage you to check out coffee by the beans. I also said that I was a Christian Minister and they didn’t freak out – always a positive sign
Special Notes - While not providing anything for them, the place – by its design and its staff – is kid friendly.
Venue Suitable for:
- Quiet Chat, Deep and Meaningful, and/or Study and Reflection – Absolutely - I was there at around 2pm and for the most part, my little dude and I were the only two there – Daniel and Richard indicated that their busiest times of the day are the ‘on the way to work caffeine fix’ and ‘the after school crowd’ – so if you can avoid those times it is the perfect place – also if you need some quiet prayer space, there is quite an impressive Anglican Church across the road. There is plenty of seating inside, in a variety of forms and two tables outside should you enjoy the sun….